April is Earth Month and it is so important to teach our kids about recycling and just how beautiful our planet really is! We kicked off April with my daughter making a homemade robot for school using recycled mailer packaging, empty washed-out cans, and the underside of school project construction paper. Then my son used recycled materials to make a preschool craft weather vane. The month has been getting off to a good start!
Here are a few fun suggestions for enjoying Earth Month with your kids!
1. Take a nature walk. We do not live in the woods or even have a private backyard, but that does not stop me from exploring nature with my kids. Head to a local park or walk around your courtyard or block and discover worms after a rainstorm or new crocuses in a neighbors planter. If you can get to a more wooded area, you can point out the changing colors of leaves or squirrels rummaging for acorns!
2. Have your kids help you recycle. By incorporating recycling into their daily routines as kids, they will grow up recycling into adulthood. Making it a habit will turn recycling into something your kids do naturally, and without reminder.
3. Conserve water. Do your kids keep the water running when they brush their teeth? Do you max out your shower time in the mornings? Small changes like shutting off the water or keeping shower times shorter help conserve our water resources.
5. Encourage your kids to pass on toys they no longer play with. This is not only a nice thing to do, but it will keep your kids bedrooms less cluttered and give another child a “new to you” toy! This is especially good to do when your kids outgrow a phase or stage.
6. Finish your plate. I am always surprised at how much food is thrown away when toddlers and children do not finish their meals. Bring along reusable containers with you and teach your kids to “recycle” their leftovers for later!
7. Visit the Healthy Essentials website here for tips and ideas, coupons and specials (save over $55!!!). There is so much on the website and a plethora of great ways to celebrate Earth Month!
Looking for another way to help a cause you support? Check out J & J’s new app, Donate A Photo, where for every photo you share, Johnson & Johnson donates $1 to a cause you want to support! I love this!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of J & J Healthy Essentials #Moms4JNJConsumer. All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.